Re: Does rpm support patching a binary rpm package?

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Friday 09 January 2004 07:38 pm, Prakash_Nara@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Does rpm support patching a binary rpm package?
>
> Boy, this sure does sound familiar.  The short answer is no.

Ya know, if you really wanted to do this it would seem to me that some
scripts that copy the old rpm to the new rpm name and a little rsync magic
would give you what you are looking for. It might eventually irritate
the mirror operators because of server load but who knows, in most cases
to sync 1 or 2 rpms the load might be so brief that no one would notice.

Since I have no real interest in this I am not doing it nor am I going to
argue for or against it. I just wanted to throw it out there.

> SuSE is doing this now with their distribution; but it's not RPM
> functionality, it's in their YaST.

So why not use SuSE then?? :-)

HTH,