Re: [Sound] Re: Re: alsa and kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0

I meant that I expected Redhat to handle the situation in such a way
that the only thing I would have to do is to run the upgrade.

And it installed something called:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-17.8.0/kernel/drivers/sound/maestro3.o

It should have been transparent to me, after all I never compiled the
alsa drivers by myself in the first place. I routinely compile the
NVIDIA drivers, and I have done it in the past for the pctel drivers.
But, as the Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool 2.0.0 kept bugging
me that I have to upgrade the kernel, I did it and two days later
noticed the lack of sound.

I am not completely sure that the problem resides in maestro3.o
It could be anything else. The only thing I am sure is that booting to
2.4.18-14 does not disrupt sound, while 2.4.18-17 does.

BTW, I have recompiled the alsa drivers with no luck.

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 13:56, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Mario Borgnia (mborgnia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > I am having trouble with the alsa drivers as well. Although it is true
> > that I should not have to rebuild the drivers,
>
> That is *not* true. You do have to rebuild the drivers if you change kernels.
>
> Bill

Mario J. Borgnia, Ph. D

+---------------------------------+
|                                 |
| Lab of Cell Biology             |
| NIH NCI/CCR                     |
| 50 South Drive Rm 4306 MSC 8008 |
| Bethesda MD 20892-8008          |
|                                 |
| Tel: (301) 594 0563             |
| mborgnia@xxxxxxx                |
..."We can bomb the world to pieces
but we can't bomb it into peace"...
               -- Michael Franti

..."In a world without walls,
Who needs Gates and Windows?"...
               -- Anonymous

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]