obscure sound card SB Live! 5.1 in DELL DIMENSION 8250 (OEM cardCT0200)

Hello,

I installed RH 9 a couple of days ago.  It's a beauty!

I have just one unresolved issue.  My DELL Dimension 8250 contains an
obscure SB live! 5.1 sound card.  This card has a different chip set, for
which there is no driver available.  The EMU10K1 driver does not support it.

There is one commercial driver for Linux that I know about.  I even
installed the limited demo version.  This driver supports  sound when
playing games like TUX racer and Chromium.  So far, I haven't been able to
play music CD's nor MP3.  I did check the AUMIX setting and mute; still no
sound.

When I run "cdparanoia" while piping the raw output directly to the DSP, I
get a chain of little music parts. Sounds very bad, obviously.

I have little hope finding a serious "free" sound driver in the near future
for this card.  So my question is: does anybody know about a serious driver
being developed right now?

This card works fine under WinXP, but I want to get rid of Windoze the
sooner the better, obviously.

BTW, I tried to get some specs about this sound card at DELL's and Creative
Labs.  Got no reply so far.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Albert

*****DISCLAIMER*****

This electronic transmission (and any attached document) is intended
exclusively for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other action  based upon
the information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please contact the
sender and delete the material from any and all computers.
Mobistar does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this
information, nor does it accept liability for any delays.

*****END OF DISCLAIMER*****

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]