help with machine update

I just upgraded my hardware from i586 to i686.
How do I upgrad my kernel?
My first attempt to install the i686 kernel of the same level resulted in lots of errors.
I waited until a later kernel was available.
It install with one minor error - unable to remove an empty directory.
When I rebooted the new kernel was not selected.
I selected it, and got a "kernel panic - tried to kill init" followed by a keyboard lockup.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.