problem upgrading 2.4.20 i586 kernel to 2.4.20 i686 kernel

Hi,

...better info....

I've been using RedHat 9 successfully for years on a 350 Mhz cpu, but the Socket 7 mother board gave out.
I upgraded to a 2.93 Mhz athalon with a new box and motherboard.
It runs just fine on the 2.4.20-43.9.legacy i586 kernel, but the cpu is now an i686, so I wanted to update. I tried to update my kernel to the i686 version, but got a slew of errors, so I waited until another update was available.
Next I installed the 2.4.20-46.9.legacy i686 kernel.
RPM -ivh reported that it was unable to erase /tmp/initrd.mnt.d9ahz0.
That directory appears to be empty.

The i586 kernel works just fine, but the i686 kernel won't boot.

The system halts with the following:

Code: ff 50 10 eb d0 eb 0d 90 90 90 ...
<0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
<3>pc_keyb: Controller jammed (0x15).

I've searched for the message, but found suggestions of hardware problems.
Since the system runs just fine on the i586 kernel I'm inclined to think it's not hardware.

Some claim Redhat 9 is just to old for new hot hardware, but that doesn't explain why it runs just fine on the i586 kernel.

Can anyone suggest what might be done to try to get a boot?

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.