How to load Linux from GRUB?

Hi, all,

I had a dual-boot (Windows XP on NTFS and Linux), but
I wanted to partition the C: drive where Windows XP
was installed. I used Partition Magic to first resize
C: drive to a smaller one, and then create a new
partition with a letter G. However, somehow, Partition
Magic screwed up, now I can't seem to boot to Linux,
whereas I can still boot to Windows from GRUB by the
following:

GRUB> rootnoverify (hd0,1)
GRUB> chainloader +1
GRUB> boot

I tried to boot to Linux by doing the following:

GRUB> root (hd0,9)
GRUB> kernel / <tab>
GRUB> kernel /boot <tab>

But it doesn't seem to find vmlinuz... in /boot. When
I do "kernel / <tab>" it gives the "possible"
commands. I  am wondering if there is any command
(possibly kernel command?) which lists the entire
directory (like ls in Unix or dir in DOS).

I looked at PartitionMagic, but depressingly, all
partitions for Linux seem to have zero unused space,
i.e., everything appears to be used. (e.g., size MB:
27,956.0; Used MB: 27,956.0 and Unused MB: 0.0)

Can I somehow recover from this? Should I reformat
everything, I am afraid?

Thanks in advance.

--peter