Re: Re (8th): DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

Gregory L. Hering wrote:
but usually the server will give the same address to a particular
machine.
Not necessarily true, but it can be setup to give the same IP to a certain
MAC address.

I know about setting up the DHCP config files for hard MAC-to-IP addressing,
but I still have seen very consistent addresses on completely dynamic
networks.  I think it's probably due to the algorithm used by the DHPC
server to pick the address in the first place, maybe a hash of some kind.

If you simply mean how does a box set for DHCP get the same address all the time, I was always under the impression it was based on availability. If a machine requests an address, it will tend to keep that address unless that machine goes off line, and that address is then returned to the pool of available addresses and then served to a new machine.

That might be more simplistic than the answer you were looking for, and I haven't followed this entire discussion, so I don't know if that helps or not.
--
regards,

shane
scbranch@xxxxxxxxxx