Re: restore /boot directory

    If you trashed the /boot partition, I assume you lost /boot/grub,
too.  If you use grub, you'll have to restore it, including grub.conf.
    So far as the kernel is concerned, you should then be able to get it
all back by installing the 2.4.20-31.9 kernel rpm.  This standard kernel
should be able to handle NVidia (as a module), but if you want what you
last compiled into the kernel, and haven't cleaned up since you compiled,
I'll bet reinstalling it from source will also work ("make install" when
in /usr/src/linux-2.4).  I don't know if this also handles making the
initrd file, but if it doesn't, you can do

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-31.9.img  2.4.20-31.9

--
Steven Yellin