Re: restore /boot directory

Did you boot LILO or GRUB before the WinXP experiment?

Finish installing WinXP before 'fixing' the linux install, because
WinXP isn't friendly to 'foreign' OS's and will un-fix things

As mentioned, "cd /usr/src/linux-2.4;make install;lilo -r /"
should get you back in operation if you have lilo, and a
similarly short path should get you back in gear under grub.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> ldorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/10/04 03:50PM >>>

I have been running linux-2.4.20-31.9 (updated several times from the
version originally installed) and was working on installing WinXP
(multiboot) and I inadvertently trashed the /boot partition on the linux
disk.
Using linux rescue from the install CD, I can get to a command-line
prompt, running off the old kernel on the install cd.

Can I just copy a replacement copy of the 2.4.20-31.9 kernel from
www.kernel.org into the boot directory? What else has to be there?

I am using a NVidia display card so I had compiled their driver
into the kernel which I was using so I have the kernel source rpm.

Is there a clear path to recovery other than full re-installation?
What do I need to read to learn more?

Sigh,
LeRoy Dorman

the system manager.