restore /boot directory

I have been running linux-2.4.20-31.9 (updated several times from the
version originally installed) and was working on installing WinXP (multiboot) and I inadvertently trashed the /boot partition on the linux disk.
Using linux rescue from the install CD, I can get to a command-line prompt, running off the old kernel on the install cd.

Can I just copy a replacement copy of the 2.4.20-31.9 kernel from www.kernel.org into the boot directory? What else has to be there?

I am using a NVidia display card so I had compiled their driver
into the kernel which I was using so I have the kernel source rpm.

Is there a clear path to recovery other than full re-installation?
What do I need to read to learn more?

Sigh,
LeRoy Dorman