Re: Redhat 9 Hangs

Saravana Kumar wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
>> You can install Windows on that system but it will prove nothing - even
>> if Windows fails.
>>
>> My understanding is that your purchase of that machine was driven by the
>> fact that it was certified to work with RH 9. The fact that it cannot
>> pass the memtest.exe of RH 9 is proof that the system, with present
>> components is substandard and not up to specification. Period. If the
>> system wasn't newly/recently manufactured (i.e. used/reconditioned), it
>> may be as simple as a BIOS upgrade.
>>
> You're exactly correct i purchsed the machine because it can run on Linux.
>
>> Installing Windows is a peripheral issue - you did not purchase it for
>> use with Windows, Windows may incorporate some undocumented fix for
>> substandard hardware and what on earth are you going to use to
>> adequately test it to determine failure? This too is a waste of time for
>> which you should be compensated. In the end, installing Windows will
>> neither prove nor disprove anything that hasn't already been proven.
> But, after supplying it with adequete driver(SCSI) windows can't detect
> the drive. I couldn't install windows. Also, i have made clear to them
> that even if was successfully installing windows i want to run Linux and
> only Linux on it. I tried with windows only for their sake. Wasted time is
> already gone. I want to prove them that if Linux doesn't work nothing
> will.
>>
>> Basic Philosophical logic here:
>> 1- System is certified for use with RH 9
>> 2- Boot RH 9 disc - execute memtest
>> 3- system fails - system is substandard and does not meet
>> specifications/certification.
>> 4- Windows is irrelevant to discussion
> Right. As today is sunday i can't catch them. I think in a day or two i
> can ask them give compensation or just return the system back.
>> Craig
>
> Thanks again,
Hi,

Now the problem is over. I called up the engineer again and tried with
installing windows(with 3 driver disks). Windows after installation was
working fine. Before this what the engineer did was to flash the BIOS.
There was an BIOS update in the HP site. This i missed:-(

After windows, we tried with Linux. Installation went on smoothly. Then
tried copying *big* files, that too had no problems. Now the system is
working fine. Still i didn't migrate any data to it. But i think there wont
be any more problem.

Thanks for all who followed up. Hope this will be helpful for others.
Since this was a new machine i never even thought of the BIOS update.
But BIOS was the bottleneck.

Again thank you all for spending your time(especially craig) and sharing
your knowledge.
unintentional side effect.             --- Linus Torvalds
--
SK