Re: usb driver installation: is reboot required?

Mike Burger wrote:

Is your programmer a Windows programmer?

Yes. I don't think he's ever tried to write for linux. He's also Chinese, so there may be some language barrier stuff going on as far as getting across what I want.

As long as the driver is compiled as a module, and not directly into
the kernel, you should be able to rmmod the old version, put the new
version into the right location, and then insmod the new version, or
modprobe it.

He's telling me the hid.o file is loaded when a USB device is attached, and he needs to get a different object file loaded first. This is why he claims the reboot is needed.

I'll mention the rmmod and insmod angles to him.

That isn't to say that it absolutely, positively, 100% will work, but
it works for most modules.

Yes, there are few guarantees in life, but I think there's a large possibility he's just unfamiliar with linux.

-- regards,

shane