Re: "Red Hat Prof. Workstation" equivelent to RHL 9?

I tried RHWS 3.0 and decided to remove it to use RH 9.  WS 3 installed
the same as RH 9 and worked fine.  My problem was that the Enterprise
package is designed for businesses.

It was missing a number of applications that one expected with the
earlier series.  It had Open Office and most of the basic applications
but did not have Gnucash and other miscellaneous applications that would
not normally be needed in a business OS.  Missing were a number of
multimedia programs.  I believe you can check the Red Hat FTP site to
see what is included.  WS 3 does not encourage setting up a dual boot
system (not a normal business option).  Dual boot worked for me but one
needs to do a bit of home work.

One could install these other applications directly but who wants to go
to that much effort.  Just check the trail of messages on some of the
other mail list.  I don't believe that Red Hat's business model includes
the normal user now.  It is working for them; they are operating in the
black now.

Also, I could not find a good site like Freshrpms.net that provided RPMs
for other applications for that release (that may be the result of the
priority nature of that release).  Fedora is an option that has allot of
support out there.  I may switch to it later after RH 9 has aged.

Norm

--
Norman Nunn <npnunn@xxxxxxxxxx>