Redhat 9 SMP Question on IBM x445

Hi:)

I installed a Redhat-Linux-9 on my IBM x445 server several days ago. But I noticed just now that only one CPU was working.

I enter the command: "uname -r", and the output is "2.4.20-8smp";
I enter the command: "cat /proc/cpuinfo", and only one cpu running infomation is shown.

Does anybody meet the same trouble like mine on IBM x445 installing redhat 9?

My questions are:
1) Is there any possibility that the application system running on the machine make one of the cpu freezed and disappeared?
2) Is there any other method for me to check the cpu's running state, except using proc info?
3) Because I can not halt or reboot the machine unbendingly, I wonder, if I would reboot the machine and use 2.4.20smp kernel to boot again but still find one of the cpu keep resting, which measure could I adopt?
-- could kernel-recompiling help?
-- or can I add some booting-kernel-parameters when I boot the kernel? except maxcpus=2

Thanks a lot!

Best regards.
Luchuan Chen