Re: module-info

Went though the first 10 responses from a google query on redhat.com and module.info.

The gist of the data suggests that the file /boot/module-info-$(KERNELVERSION)
is totally unnecessary and can be  (with the sym link pointing to it) deleted
without trouble arising.

If this is so, saying so was as easy as suggentign google

If not, the results of using google are misleading.

google is NOT my friend very often!

Clarifications solicited.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:11:13 -0500, Brian T. Brunner wrote:

> One of the Mysteries of Linux Life (to me anyhow) is
>
> Who/what makes the link /boot/module-info
> What/who makes the module-info-mumble that module-info links to
> and whether it matters what's in it.
>
> I built a shrike system, then downloaded kernel source tarball
> for 2.4.25, and built.
> After make modules modules_install;lilo -r / (with appropriate
>  entries in /etc/lilo.conf for hte new kernel) the old /boot/module-info > still points to the old module-info-2.4.20-8
>
> Does it make a difference?
> How is the module-info->module-info-mumble link & file related to
> what's in /lib/modules/mumble?
>
> Clues appreciated, I'm flat out of them.

This has been discussed periodically on various lists at redhat.com in the
past. Limiting Google queries to the lists should turn up something.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated