File /dev/sda1 disappeared!

Greetings,

I have an USB stick which I could mount flawlessly with the command:

mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/pendrive/

today (after testing and then removing a SCSI scanner) the same
command returns:

special device /dev/sda1 does not exis

and sure enough that device file is no more in the /dev/ directory!

Now:
1) what could have happened? Kudzu messing around? I don't remember
doing anything myself that could have canceled device files

2) What now? Do I have to reinstall the same version of the dev RPM
(with which options?) or there is a simpler solution?

TIA,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Human beings act intelligently only after they have exhausted the
alternatives -- Abba Eban