X Not working (Mismatch freq.; Screen Blanks)

Hi Everyone:

I have installed RH9 on my Compaq 6410nx machine. The video probe on install tells me that I have a S3 ProSavage KM133 video card (HSync Rate: 30-95; VSync Rate: 50-160. I also have a View Sonic E790 monitor.

During the first part of the installation a window appears that state something to the effect that the frequencies are off (message didn't stay on long enough to record) after which the screen went blank. I started again with the "linux text" install and everything went as expected.

When I boot the system, the same video window pops up and the screen goes blank. (I tried to get control and issue CNTR-ALT-F2 -- text screen appears with cursor but no user control over cursor.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For your information I have previously installed RH8 and SuSE9 on the same machine and both installed without a hitch using the graphics mode.