RE: resolving problems....

Actually that is exactly what I did last night. It took the problem away. I
will be testing this a little more this evening. Some very interesting
things though,

1. I took all rules out but the ACCEPT port 53 for both TCP and UDP, and
also left the REJECT rules in for TCP and UDP at the end.
	When I tested. 'host www.google.com' still failed
	'host -T www.google.com' worked.
2. I took out just the port 53 TCP rule and tried the same test.
	'host www.google.com' failed
	'host -T www.google.com' WORKED!!!! (This should have failed)
3. I took out all rules except the REJECTs and got the same results!
4. turned off ipchains all together and BOTH worked!
5. I also tried a different default kernel. (binmem and std 2.4.20-8)

Again, it was rather late when I made this discovery and I will do some more
testing this evening.

This is some very strange behavior. I am very surprised that it has not been
uncovered before!

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Does anyone know how to force a kernel core dump? And how to analyze it?

Thanks

Carlos