Re: X Not working (Mismatch freq.; Screen Blanks)

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:58, jsdey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> I have installed RH9 on my Compaq 6410nx machine.  The video probe on
> install tells me that I have a S3 ProSavage KM133 video card (HSync
> Rate: 30-95; VSync Rate: 50-160.  I also have a View Sonic E790
> monitor.
>
> During the first part of the installation a window appears that state
> something to the effect that the frequencies are off (message didn't
> stay on long enough to record) after which the screen went blank.  I
> started again with the "linux text" install and everything went as
> expected.
>
> When I boot the system, the same video window pops up and the screen
> goes blank.  (I tried to get control and issue CNTR-ALT-F2 -- text
> screen appears with cursor but no user control over cursor.)  Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> For your information I have previously installed RH8 and SuSE9 on the
> same machine and both installed without a hitch using the graphics
> mode.
----
can't tell you what to use for the monitor but

after switching to Control-Alt-F2 (virtual console)
try
init 3 #text/multi-user runlevel
redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

choose 59.0 - 65.0 in horizontal
60.0 in vertical

save and then startx

This should work with most flat panel displays. You can then experiment
with higher refresh rates in the same manner.

Craig