Re: Shrike cannot install

Matt Ritchie wrote:

I can not seem to install Shrike on my new computer.
I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 [snip]

I experienced similar problems a while back -- the default nvidia graphics driver (the one that comes with Red Hat) just wouldn't do graphical mode. I think, in the end, we decided that it either the monitor (a Samsung 240T, a lovely thing) or the fact that I was using DVI. I forget which.

The solution was just to do a text mode install -- type "linux text" at the CD boot prompt. It's not as pretty as the graphical install, but it works. You can dowload the graphics drivers using lynx or elinks (a text mode browser) which is always fun. Once you've got the basic system installed, you can get access to the same install-time package selection with redhat-config-packages.

jch