Re: Shrike cannot install

Matt Ritchie wrote:

Hi,
I can not seem to install Shrike on my new computer.
I have an NVidia GeForce FX 5200, a Create Sound
Blaster Live!, two Western Digital Harddisks, A
Samsung DVD ROM drive, and a generic CD-burner.
Red Hat Installer stops when loading X-Windows in
graphical mode, and stops when detecting video card in
text mode.  Can I possibly get RH9 to see my videocard
if I download the Linux Driver to my PC?
Matt Ritchie

The nvidia cards work just fine in normal 2D mode out of the box, so getting through the install does not require the nvidia drivers - after you're up and running, you need only download the drivers directly to your linux system and run the installer, so no intermediate download to a windows pc is required or even desirable.

It is likely some other incompatibility in your system - does your motherboard have a via chipset? what type of CPU? There are some command line switches for the installer that could help, for instance typing

linux apm=off ide=nodma

or similar at the first installer prompt may get you through it.

FWIW I just installed Fedora Core 1 (think of it as RH 9.1) on a Hyperthreading P4-2800 with a nvidia GeForce 5200 and it went beautifully, so perhaps that's something to try if all else fails on RH9.

Joe