Re: upgrade to fedora from shrike

Jay Daniels wrote:

This is where I screwed up! apt-get update kernel-smp gave me a list of
kernels and I didn't know anything about nptl, but I installed it
anyway...

As you should, that seems correct...

The problem booting: I think the problem was this box has been up for
months and I had some corrupted inodes or file (lot of rm -Rf) or I may
have a hidden problem with this raid server, hint cpio problems suggest
that I have io problems with the hardware correct???

That's a plausible theory, I think that may have been the case.

$ uname -a
Linux darkforce 2.4.22-1.2149.nptlsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 7 12:51:51 EST 2004
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Strange, i686 twice and i386.

That's actually an improvement - it used to always say "i386 unknown"

If anyone has RH 9 running like it should, I do not recommend upgrading to
fedora at this time. Fedora seems bugger than RH 9 and X seems slower. If you must upgrade to fedora core 1, burn the cds first or wait until a
more stable release of fedora.

Well you certainly handled that ordeal like a man ;)

But everything in my experience with fedora indicates that it's snappier than RH8/9 - and a number of irritating RH9 bugs are fixed in fedora, it seems to be RH9 done right. Check to make sure dma is turned on, that will make a big difference, but other than that I can't think of my FC1 would seem slower, odd...

Joe