Re: KDE & Screensavers (RH9)

John Haxby wrote:

redhat wrote:

BTW - I opened up a program called xscreensaver-demo. I had to do #xhost +localhost to get it started and I kept getting errors, although I could preview them. In this case, there were checkboxes next to all the different savers.

There are two screensaver schemes on Red Hat: the gnome one and the kde one.

The gnome screensaver scheme uses xscreensaver and that, in turn, invokes programs in /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver. xscreensaver-demo is basically a different way of invoking those programs. Check the manual for more details.

The kde screensaver scheme uses something else and invokes the /usr/bin/*.kss programs. Fiddling with xscreensaver-demo won't change the behviour of the KDE screensavers.

The only possible unification in all of this is the /usr/bin/xscreensaver.kss, but I need to work out how that can be invoked from the KDE screensavers because it isn't by default. And it might not even be there on RH9 -- I'm actually running RHEL3 here.

jch

After a lot of playing around and testing, I have found that the KDE screen savers are at

/usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/<filename>

And renaming them there will disable them. I've been changing the <filename> to <1filename>. They still show up in the screen saver listing, but trying to preview them just causes the window to blink. Now I need to find out where to delete the names from the list in the screensaver setup window.

Then I need to try to install some new ones and get them listed.

BTW - using Konqueror to browse the files, clicking on the file will bring up a preview window of the screensaver. And you can have several previews open at once. You can even preview the renamed files, since you are just clicking the filename.