Re: KDE & Screensavers (RH9)

John Haxby wrote:

VJ wrote:

The easiest way is to look for .xscreensaver file in your home directory.
This contains the list of all the screen savers you can run in KDE> simply
putting a hyphen(minus sign) at the beginning of a line which contains the
name of the screen saver you wish to disable, will disable it.

I haven't :-( In fact, I can't find anything with such a list.

Still looking around. There seem to be several sections with xsceensaver listed. I've also got Suse installed and I get that list too. I want to import some from the suse section.

Somebody misguided you, no screen saver is in built into the kernel (except
the screen blanking feature which is DPMS for saving power in screen save
mode).

You're right -- this is the silly kind of thing that you'd expect of NT, but not Linux.

Actually, it was somewhere on the web. I didn't think that that sounded right. You can't trust everything you read.

Screen savers are also just like other program installed in some directory(I
never tried looking for that though.).

The KDE screensavers are /usr/bin/*.kss (interestingly that includes one called xscreensaver.kss which seems to invoke the xscreensaver screensavers that are in /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver (these are the ones that gnome uses).

jch

Ok, I'll look over there.

BTW - I opened up a program called xscreensaver-demo. I had to do #xhost +localhost to get it started and I kept getting errors, although I could preview them. In this case, there were checkboxes next to all the different savers.