Re: KDE & Screensavers (RH9)

The easiest way is to look for .xscreensaver file in your home directory.
This contains the list of all the screen savers you can run in KDE> simply
putting a hyphen(minus sign) at the beginning of a line which contains the
name of the screen saver you wish to disable, will disable it.

Somebody misguided you, no screen saver is in built into the kernel (except
the screen blanking feature which is DPMS for saving power in screen save
mode).

Screen savers are also just like other program installed in some directory(I
never tried looking for that though.).

GL is what the authors of those screen savers have taken from OpenGL which
is has something to do with the fancy graphics you see in those screen
savers and also almost all the modern big 3-D games which have complex
screens.

To be able to have OpenGL support from your system you need
1)    A graphics card that supports OpenGL
2)    Driver for that card which allows the applications (like
games/screensavers) to tap that functionality of the card.

In your case the first card probably did not support OpenGL at all. In
second case the default driver did not support OpenGL.

VJ