Re: accessing localhost

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 19:36, Jay Daniels wrote:

> I think so, but it should have created httpd.conf.rpmnew.  If you manually
> edit the httpd.conf I do not think it will replace it.  Seems like I got a
> warning that my httpd.conf was saved as httpd.conf.rpmnew and the original
> was left intact.  Or maybe it was the other way around.
>
> In anycase, just "locate httpd.conf" if up2date installs a new
> httpd/apache rpm and review the files.
>
> If I manually edit httpd.conf I always back it up,
> cp /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.myconfig
>
> so I always have a working copy of my config file.
>
> What scared me was after the httpd.conf was replaced after up2date
> installed a newer version, .htaccess control was not enabled.  In other
> words, all my .htaccess files were simply ignored.  This may be the
> default, idonno.
>
> Anytime you update your httpd server, remember to review the config file.
>
> This is probably a bug.  I thought rpm -U which is used by up2date was not
> suppose to replace config files, but simply install the config as
> something like the above, httpd.conf.rpmnew.
---
up2date is supposed to do an "F"
-F, --freshen=<packagefile>+     upgrade package(s) if already installed

It should not disturb an existing /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file if it
has been altered but rather create a copy in the same directory with the
.rpmnew appended to it.

I have seen different things happen when you install upgrade i.e.
version 8.0 to 9 if the package goes through a major update.

I also have backup scripts which backup some essential daemon config
files & data on a weekly basis just in case

Craig