Re: Does KDE 3.1.4 make sense?

Pekka K. Kurki wrote:

Does anybody know if it makes sense to install KDE 3.1.4 on RH9? My problem is that since I installed RH9 I cannot use any MP3 or MPEG utilities. I was wondering if a newer version of KDEmultimedia makes a difference. Unfortunately there are conflicts with older qt and art versions if I try to install newer versions. Is there any more handy way of upgrading KDE that removing old rpm's and installing the new ones - one by one (some 10 packages or more)? I have done this a few times before and it is laborious...

It makes some sense. I fetched and re-compiled kdemultimedia a while back. And then fetched the tarball instead and removed the bit in the spec file that deletes all the MP3 stuff :-) That way you get MP3 audio with noatun and whatnot.

However, a possibly better way is to get the KDE stuff from http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ -- I have to admit I haven't tried this, but only because I have a million and one other things to do.

For MP3 support, I'd be most inclined to get xmms and associated stuff from http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html (personally, I like XMMS and never really got on all that well with the KDE media players, not for any particularly good reason). If you want other media support then go to freshrpms.net and start downloading stuff. Xine seems to have the best all-round support for video and DVD -- this months Linux Format suggested it was the best of the bunch. Be warned, however, that there are quite a lot of prerequisities. Download the obvious xine packages and attempt to install them, then start downloading others as necessary until everything installs. You'll probably need ALSA among that lot as well and I know that when I first sat down to install ALSA some time ago, it took me quite a while, althought it has got a lot easier recently.

jch