Re: upgrading to the 2.6 kernel

Sommers, David (NIH/NIMH) wrote:

I have RH 9.0 running fairly smoothly on two desktop computers. I am
interested in upgrading to the 2.6 kernel mainly o get sound working better
and to see what else it might have - can someone tell me how complicated a
kernel upgrade is? Any precautions I should take? Newbie. Thanks.

You mean other than responding to a completely unrelated message _and_ including it at the bottom of your hijacked topic? :-)

Seriously, you don't need 2.6 to get ALSA support and if it's better sound you want, you're probably better off downloading ALSA. You'll need the libraries and utilities anyway for the 2.6.0 kernel.

jch