From: bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:36 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sendmail failing to resolve IP address of the Smart Host

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blessing Kamutande" <Kamutandeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 12:26 PM

> Hie All,
> I have two LAN sites with one site running Exchange 5.5 and this site is
the
> gateway to the Internet. The problem is the other site is running Sendmail
> 8.12.8 and I defined the Exchange as the smart host name being mailserver,
> but Sendmail fail to relay mail saying: DEFERRED. Connection time out.
Could
> not resolve host name.
> I have put mailserver in my /etc/hosts file ad I can ping the exchange
> server  using its name(mailserver). These servers are on the same net i.e
> 192.168.1.0
>
> What could be the problem and how can I solve it?
>
> TIA
> Regards
Snippet that came back from the New Zealand guy was as follows:-

Thank's all for taking time in assisting to solve my problem.
I found the solution after Bryan , refereed to downloading the source for
sendmail. The answer was documented , if not a little ambiguous.
 The solution to my problem was  specifing  the following in the submit.mc
file.

 define(`confDIRECT_SUBMISSION_MODIFIERS',`C')

Cheers Barry