Help please: Custom kernel and modules misunderstanding

I hope this is the right list for the questions.
I installed RH9 with the 2.4.20-8 kernel.  Then, for very real reasons and needs, I installed 2.4.23.  Kernel loads fine, but I am having problems with modules.
First off, I'm getting messages at boot up (in var/log/messages) from modprobe: can't locate module-char.xxx .  Those aliases do not exist in my /etc/modules.conf.  Why would modprobe be looking for them ?
Most of these are related to USB / 1394 modules.  Meanwhile the ones I have set in modules.conf do load properly.  Most of this was just mildly unsettling but I wanted to figure this out.  Now I feel there maybe bigger issues at large as it appears certains driver modules are getting clobbered, never load even though I can insmod them afterwards.

Any ideas or pointers?
Thank you,
Stuart