Re: How can I set the default keymap for XFree86?

At 2003-12-20 17:14, you wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Every time I use startx to bring up XFree86, it reverts back to the default
> keyboard.
> I have to open system settings, keyboard, and select the keyboard I use
> (dvorak).
>
> If I log out of XFree86 and restart it, the settings are lost.
> What do I have to change, where, to make this setting permanent, so that
> the using startx will automatically load the desired keyboard?
>
> Thanks,
> "Newbie" Ralph

     There's a Section "Keyboard" in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  If you can
figure out how to specify the keyboard settings in that file, I would
expect them to apply the next time you use startx.

Steven Yellin

Your help pointed me in the right direction.

Adding the dvorak option to the "InputDevice" section did the trick.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "dvorak"
EndSection

Thanks,
Ralph