Re: Networking Challenge Shrike to Shrike?

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 19:54, Colburn wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > Red Hat has documentation...
> > <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/>
> >
> > NFS Exports
> > <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-nfs-server-config.html>
> >
> > NFS Mounts
> > <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-nfs-client-config.html>
> >
> > Samba (Windows Networking)
> > <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-samba.html>
> >
> > Craig
>
> I am exhausted, not to mention frustrated, at the obvious wasted time
> looking at the list of discrete doc files.
>
> Why are the most simple tasks, e.g. peer-to-peer networking, a nightmare
> of endless dubiously documented steps across multiple apps on two
> different machines?
>
> No wonder RH is surrendering the consumer desktop to SuSE and Mandrake
> -- they've stripped down the distro to a near Debian level.
>
> Does it occur to anyone other than me that this number of hours and
> uncertainty of getting every setting just right just to get two Shrike
> boxes to talk to each other borders on absurd?  My time is too valuable
> ... it ceases to be fun after a while and feels more like hazing.
----
Red Hat didn't surrender the consumer market - it will take another
form. They didn't strip anything down - it is very robust. I think that
Fedora and successors may very well be the bleeding edge of desktop
Linux.

Suse has YAST which may be a little more to your liking. It is however
proprietary, and tends to obfuscate what it is that you are doing and
thus, more like Windows.

I am on Fedora so it may be a little different but Clicking
Red Hat - System Settings - NFS - and clicking Help pretty much tells
you what you need to do.

# of hours to get two boxes to talk to each other? I know that a lot of
windows & mac users that have struggled for hours doing the same thing.
Once you figure it out - you won't believe how simple it is - how well
it works and unlike Windows, you won't need to restart once.

I can set up networking between 2 computers from one console in under 2
minutes - there are however, problems with the fact that each of them
has user management issues and people who have learned on say Windows
are effectively using their computer as root. This is easier but to a
great extent, why Windows has such difficulty with viruses, trojan
horses, pop-up windows, etc. When the user starts with Linux, he has
little interest in setting up other users and tries to do everything as
root and there are some security breaks to lessen the impact of root
users and of course, you should never run X Windows (the GUI) as root.

My suggestion - fwiw - is to download and install webmin on both
computers <http://www.webmin.com> - you configure your computer with a
web browser - granted you can screw things up completely but at least
that point and click administration is possible.

Craig