Re: Networking Challenge Shrike to Shrike?

Craig White wrote:
----
Red Hat has documentation...
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/>

NFS Exports
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-nfs-server-config.html>

NFS Mounts
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-nfs-client-config.html>

Samba (Windows Networking)
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-samba.html>

Craig

I am exhausted, not to mention frustrated, at the obvious wasted time looking at the list of discrete doc files.

Why are the most simple tasks, e.g. peer-to-peer networking, a nightmare of endless dubiously documented steps across multiple apps on two different machines?

No wonder RH is surrendering the consumer desktop to SuSE and Mandrake -- they've stripped down the distro to a near Debian level.

Does it occur to anyone other than me that this number of hours and uncertainty of getting every setting just right just to get two Shrike boxes to talk to each other borders on absurd? My time is too valuable ... it ceases to be fun after a while and feels more like hazing.

Time to take a break and watch a movie with my wife ... sigh ... doc

--
Amazing Christ-mas blessings ...