RE: cygwin

I just tried all this, but when I try to start the X server, I still
get an error. Here is what it says:

AUDIT: Sat Dec 13 12:58:56 2003: 30074 X: client 5 rejected from local
host

I have added both my local ip address and the remote IP via xhost on
both the local and remote machines.
I exported the DISPLAY variable on the linux server to equal
24.229.162.18:0

I even disabled my firewall on my home machine. Do I need to do
anything to the firewall at the server? It's not a linux firewall,
it's a SMC hardware firewall.

In the cygwin docs it says to test with running xterm& from the
server, this worked, it popped up a new terminal window. But I still
can't get the X desktop to display.

Does it matter what runlevel I'm in? I tried both 3 and 5. In runlevel
5 I get errors saying X is locked to the local display 0, so I must
need to run it from runlevel 3?

What am I missing?