Re: GRUB serial configuration

This seems to be the way it works.  Press any key to
continue... messages will appear on both the VGA screen and the serial
console. While this is happening you can hit a key and you'll have control of
grub, either from the serial console or the attached keyboard. After
10 seconds grub will default to the serial console, display the
bootmenu and then start to boot.

There are two timeouts involved here.  One to get focus "press any
key.." and one to boot.  I guess if you press the space bar
it will fork the boot process output to the one you pressed the key
on...  How you could automate this, idonno.

On my old serial terminal setup, I used mgetty and a dumb terminal
making sure the dumb terminal was vt100.  However, I had no control
over the boot selection and I got a prompt AFTER the boot process was
completed.  Since the default kernel booted after 10 seconds, it
really didn't matter.

jay

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:44:01PM +0530, Karan Saberwal wrote:
> Hi Jay
>
> Thanks a lot for your help , I am now able to do the authentication from
> serial access for GRUB . Sorry for the delay in replying though , my machine
> had crashed .
>
> I want one more suggestion from you , how to configure grub so that it does
> not send me this message on the serial terminal ::
>
> Press any key to continue ...
>
> {This message comes 10-12 times and I have to press the key to go to the
> serial console}.
>
> My GRUB conf file looks like this ::
>
> *******
> title SERIAL TEST
>          serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --stop=1
>          terminal --timeout=10 serial console
>         password --md5
>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.8 ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,9600n8
> ******
>
> Regards,
> Karan Saberwal