Re: GRUB serial configuration

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:13:50PM +0530, karan wrote:
> Hi  All
>
> I am trying to configure GRUB for serial port access for my project. What I
> want to do is ::
>
> 1. On boot , GRUB should always accept the password from the serial port
> {ttyS0 }before continuing with booting .
>
> 2. I want this without dropping to the console in GRUB. I tried modifying
> the /boot/grub/grub.conf  by adding the following lines ::
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
> terminal serial
>
> This is not making GRUB go automatically in the serial console . However ,
> if  I drop down to the console and then give these commands , then I am able
> to communicate from another computer using minicom . I want to configure it
> so that I can make the machine into a monitor-less machine .
>
> Any help would be appreciated .
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Karan Saberwal
---end quoted text---

Serial port console install
http://www.cpqlinux.com/serialinstall.html

Pay particular attention to:
Headless server settings

Slackware had all this stuff commented out in the /etc/inittab file,
but RedHat you have to add it.

Also, you will need to learn what type of terminal, cable, adaptor,
etc you need to make it communicate with a dumb terminal.  For a dumb
terminal you need a special cable or an adpator, in most cases RST,
CST, etc.  Search for the Linux Serial howto.  There are pages online
with photos on how to setup the hardware.  In other words, if you use
a standard serial cable, you need an adaptor.  I think you need a
crossover cable, but it's been years since I setup a dumb terminal and
logged in via serial port.  There are also adpators you can make which
use standard cativ twisted pair ethernet!  It's very very tricky;)

jay