KVM and/or alternatives

I've had several KVM switches to control the 5-8 machines I have at my desk
at any point in time. These boxes are a mix of Linux, Windows, and Netware
operating systems I use for testing or while configuring them for clients.

None of the KVM's I've tried has been without fault.
Some cause mouse problems. Configuring Linux without a wheel mouse helps.
Some lock up periodically. Dis & re connecting the keyboard cable fixes it.
Some won't hold the keyboard repeat rate when switching around. A real
nuisance when you're trying to write code and your cursor crawls at 10CPS.
Some have long delays to get keyboard or mouse control after switching.
Some can't handle higher resolution monitors.
etc...etc...etc
These have all been PS/2 style KVM's.

Does anyone have a KVM they like?
Is anyone using a USB KVM successfully on Linux?

Lately, I've been considering abandoning the KVM route in favor of just
running X sessions thru a ssh tunnel to headless boxes.

Does anyone know of a reliable and inexpensive X client for a W2K
environment? W2K is the stumbling block. I need that platform for one
telephony application and therefore the W2K box has to be my gateway to the
other boxes.

Is anyone running headless boxes and using X/SSH to work on them reliably?

Bill Gradwohl
YCC
(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com