severity info from syslog messages

Hi,

I have following question on syslog daemon.
-----------
Redhat version using: 9.0
Kernel : 2.4.20-6smp

Problem:

The severity level is missing in the log messages
logged by syslog daemon.

Syslog daemon logs the messages depending on the severity &
the corresponding configuration for the facility in the
/etc/syslog.conf file. But when the message is logged in to the
log file the severity level of that message does not show up.
For example: severity like "critical", "error", "info".

How can we get this severity level of the for each message
getting logged from syslog daemon?
OR
Is it possible to configure syslog daemon to log severity level
of each log message being logged?
Thanks,
SANDEEP

Do you Yahoo!?