Re: Help! - USB HC TakeOver failed!

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:36:52PM -0500, Ralph E Kenyon Jr wrote:
> Nobody answered this before.  Is this a really tough one?
> Can anybody give suggestions?
>
> I'm brand new to Linux.  I have a socket 7 system on which I installed Red
> Hat 9, clean and alone, but the installation reports an error in the USB
> area.
>
> I'm getting "USB HC TakeOver failed!"
>
> A couple of weeks of searching and reading has not gotten me any closer to
> understanding what's wrong or how to fix it.

All else fails, you may want to try and use up2date to update to the
current kernel.  On the i686 tree, it's version 2.4.20-20.9

>From what I found at google, there was a kernel or module bug in the
pre released version you are using that caused this exact problem!

Anyway it's worth a shot.  I had good luck letting up2date update the
kernel then rebooting.  You may want to try it on your system or
you may want to investigate further.

good luck,

jay