Re: reading the mail

Jay Daniels wrote:

I use postfix, but system alerts are not sent to me but to the postfix
user...
[obiwan@darkstar mail]$ ls -la
total 1560
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     mail         4096 Nov 24 21:15 .
drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Aug 29 11:43 ..
-rw-------    1 apache   mail        19032 Aug 19 08:24 apache
-rw-rw----    1 obiwan   mail       105295 Nov 24 21:15 obiwan
-rw-------    1 postfix  mail      1451892 Nov 11 04:02 postfix

How do I get postfix or root's messages sent to normal user?

Edit the /etc/postfix/aliases file and find the line that starts with root:, and alias root to the user you want root's mail sent to:

root: obiwan (for example)

after you save the chage, do a 'newaliases' to recreate the database, and 'service postfix restart' .

Also, I would like mutt to inc the mail to my ~/Mail/Inbox and have mutt open to ~/Mail/Inbox to view mail. Apparently mutt is reading mail from the mail spool file and when I exit it places non-deleted messages in the Inbox.

Don't use mutt, can't help you here.

Better yet, could procmail or some mail filter automatically put mail
in ~/Mail/Inbox on delivery?

Sure, procmail can do this.

I know it's possible to use the sendmail binary directly to send
mail, but would fetchmail work without sendmail or postfix running on
port 25?

fetchmail does not need an MTA to work. It's used to 'fetch' mail from your incoming mail server and put it in your /var/spool/mail/(username) file.