Re: reading the mail

Thanks Randy!

Does anyone know how to source the /etc/postfix/aliases file into a bash
shell script, change the line to "root:   $1" and save the file?

Should be simple but the aliases file has a ":" not an equals sign, so
I think the network function library will not work?

# Source function library.
if [ -f /etc/init.d/functions ] ; then
  . /etc/init.d/functions
elif [ -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ] ; then
  . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
else
  exit 0
fi

jd

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:43:57PM -0600, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> Jay Daniels wrote:
>
> >I use postfix, but system alerts are not sent to me but to the postfix
> >user...
> >[obiwan@darkstar mail]$ ls -la
> >total 1560
> >drwxrwxr-x    2 root     mail         4096 Nov 24 21:15 .
> >drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Aug 29 11:43 ..
> >-rw-------    1 apache   mail        19032 Aug 19 08:24 apache
> >-rw-rw----    1 obiwan   mail       105295 Nov 24 21:15 obiwan
> >-rw-------    1 postfix  mail      1451892 Nov 11 04:02 postfix
> >
> >How do I get postfix or root's messages sent to normal user?
> >
> Edit the /etc/postfix/aliases     file and find the  line that starts
> with root:, and alias root to the user you want root's mail sent to:
>
>    root:             obiwan                    (for example)
>
> after you save the chage, do a 'newaliases' to recreate the database,
> and 'service postfix restart' .
>

> >Also, I would like mutt to inc the mail to my ~/Mail/Inbox and have
> >mutt open to ~/Mail/Inbox to view mail.  Apparently mutt is reading
> >mail from the mail spool file and when I exit it places non-deleted
> >messages in the Inbox.
> >
> Don't use mutt, can't help you here.
>

> >Better yet, could procmail or some mail filter automatically put mail
> >in ~/Mail/Inbox on delivery?
> >
> Sure, procmail can do this.
>
> >I know it's possible to use the sendmail binary directly to send
> >mail, but would fetchmail work without sendmail or postfix running on
> >port 25?
> >
> fetchmail does not need an MTA to work. It's used to 'fetch' mail from
> your incoming mail server and put it in your /var/spool/mail/(username)
> file.
---end quoted text---