RE: Dual-Boot Shrike & SuSE9?

Am Mo, den 17.11.2003 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 02:59:
> Maybe you can shed some light on my questions too.
I'll do my best  :-)

> One of the main problems for me in determining how to make another Linux
> install (be it Gentoo/Suse/Mandrake..etc) is how to get it to boot under
> Grub.
>
> Current Config is /dev/hda6 as / (That means no separate partition for /boot
> /home or anything at all! I know this may(IS) bad practice but...)

Nevertheless, it's not a big deal. I suppose you use shrike as your
Linux distro in /dev/hda6 and the boot loader is grub.

You should grab your alternative Linux CD's and just start to install.
You will create a new partition (or use an existing one if there is no
free space left) and install the new Linux into that partition,
including the /boot stuff (no separate /boot either). You have to write
down, into which partition you install! e.g. /dev/hda7. When it comes to
the configuration of the boot loader, you *must* select to install it
into your newly installed partition, /dev/hda7 in this example, and
*not* to modify the MBR (Master Boot Record of the disk). This is the
only critical step and you should be quite careful (for  SUSE: you
should selcectt Lilo as bootloader, because SuSE's grub configuration is
a little bit buggy). After installation you have to reboot and because
you didn't modify the MBR the good old shrike will come up. Here you
pick up your favorite editor and  add the following lines to
/boot/grub/grub.conf

title SuSE 9.0 Test
        rootnoverify (hd0,6)
        chainloader +1

You can modify the title line to whatever you like. The following 2
lines must have leading spaces. You don't nedd to run anything else,
just add the three lines.

You will reboot, select SuSE (or anythink else) and boot into your newly
installed system. the term (hd0,6) ist the first hd (hda) and the
seventh partition (hda7). The /dev stuff starts counting with 1, grub
starts counting with 0!

> Currently I am using Windows Boot Loader to Bootstrap Grub to load RH. (I
> know Grub can be used to boot windows but I don't want to damage anything
> since I had it up..)

Given that Scenario:

1. You start Win Boot Loader -> Select current Linux (Shrike)
2. It starts Shrike's boot loader  -> select SuSE (or whatever)
3. It starts SuSE's bootloader -> select boot SuSE
4. You will boot SuSE

OK, it's not straightforward, but is works, with only minimal impact on
your current system.

Good luck

Peter