Re: fedora gets poor reviews

Hi Herbert,
please, I'm not angry here, I'm just sticking up for myself.

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 21:16, H M Kunzmann wrote:
> > This is sad.  No more Redhat Linux, outside of the enterprise version, and
> > here is the first release of fedora getting poor reviews:
> > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/12/2323256
> > Where to turn?
>
> There are a lot of comments claiming that the author of the article
> lacks the ability or intelligence to give the review any credibility.

Nevertheless, I didn't actually state that :)

> The tasks she had difficulties with seem to have been simple ones, and
> this you take as evidence that the article is useless.

Not that the article is useless, merely that the author was expecting
something that doesn't quite exist yet - a simple to use and configure
distro with no bugs but all the features.

> Apart from the Linux hippie intellectual supremacist statements I would
> normally expect to come rolling in after any form of criticism of the
> OS, perhaps the point is exactly that she reviewer was struggling with
> simple things. Fedora targets the market of normal users, while RHEL
> moves on to capture the big bucks. That means fedora is the Linux that
> people who aren't whiz kids or back street geniuses with a fetish to
> tinker on arcane scripts and config files, are gonna use.

Absolutely, its far easier than other distro's I've tried.  But I
consider myself quite the expert user (in that I tinker around with
source, kernel mods, home-made programs, networking, etc; not that I'm
equalling myself with anyone who really is an expert!) and I use fedora,
and others.

>  Redhat has
> been doing a great job at nailing down the desktop market for the
> not-so-computer-wise, and the article points out quite clearly that this
> may have been progress now totally lost.

I would disagree on this point.  Ever since I started using RedHat (6.x,
so I'm just a newbie :) I've noticed that every release gets better at
making the configuration and feel of the OS more intuitive, easy and
aesthetic.  Including fedora.  Given that, though, fedora is more a
development version of packages, so that one gets these new features,
usability, design, etc faster than the RedHat release cycle.  This is no
excuse to be full of bugs, but on the other hand you can't expect it to
be perfect.

> I have not yet tried Fedora, so I don't rightfully know whether she has
> any significant points, but it is clear to me, that for an average user,
> things may be a bit problematic.

But still easier than RedHat 9.

> I'm somewhat ashamed to see that the comments posted on this adopt the
> same approach that MS users do when trying to denounce articles, and the
> authors of articles, promoting or comparing something open source vs.
> windows. Instead of shouting "You don't know what you're talking
> about!", it would be nice to see points countered with intellectual
> arguments instead of child like-sulking.

You know, I started with a response that went through her points and
countered them with examples, quotes from RedHat/Fedora, etc, but
everyone else to date when I wrote my reply felt the same way, so I
didn't see the point.

My last comment was simply 'don't let it put you off fedora, so far it
seems great!' and that's still how I feel.

Again, usual disclaimer here about this being just my point of view, and
you are, of course, still entitled to agree with the article and/or the
articles views.  I've also got a really bad cold, so I'm finding it hard
to concentrate, so I'm being a bit more to the point than usual.

Regards,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What happens when you cut back the jungle?  It recedes.