Re: fedora gets poor reviews

> This is sad.  No more Redhat Linux, outside of the enterprise version, and
> here is the first release of fedora getting poor reviews:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/12/2323256
> Where to turn?

There are a lot of comments claiming that the author of the article
lacks the ability or intelligence to give the review any credibility.

The tasks she had difficulties with seem to have been simple ones, and
this you take as evidence that the article is useless.

Apart from the Linux hippie intellectual supremacist statements I would
normally expect to come rolling in after any form of criticism of the
OS, perhaps the point is exactly that she reviewer was struggling with
simple things. Fedora targets the market of normal users, while RHEL
moves on to capture the big bucks. That means fedora is the Linux that
people who aren't whiz kids or back street geniuses with a fetish to
tinker on arcane scripts and config files, are gonna use. Redhat has
been doing a great job at nailing down the desktop market for the
not-so-computer-wise, and the article points out quite clearly that this
may have been progress now totally lost.

I have not yet tried Fedora, so I don't rightfully know whether she has
any significant points, but it is clear to me, that for an average user,
things may be a bit problematic.

I'm somewhat ashamed to see that the comments posted on this adopt the
same approach that MS users do when trying to denounce articles, and the
authors of articles, promoting or comparing something open source vs.
windows. Instead of shouting "You don't know what you're talking
about!", it would be nice to see points countered with intellectual
arguments instead of child like-sulking.

--
Herbert Michael Kunzmann
Binary Chaos Magician