Re: 9.0 and ntlworld broadband connection

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:46:22AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:

[snip]

> On the Linux end there is basically nothing to do: once your network
> interface has been set to use DHCP you are done.  If it doesn't work,
> and all the wires are in the right sockets, you'll have to speak to
> NTL about it.  I'd suggest getting your father-in-law to add your name
> to the account so that you can get to speak to the NTL people
> yourself.

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your reply.

>From your first post on this subject,

http://chezphil.org/ntl-linux/

is the site I drew _all_ the information I used to try to get him
connected, no joy.
When he tries to access either of the urls contained in the above
url he can't access them.
When his box boots, it gets to the "bringing up ethernet
interface...looking for ip and then returned a "fail".
I have had him follow the directions to the letter as I read the
site to him on the phone. His box doesn't seem to pick up an ip at
all.
Well, I can ask him about adding me to the account but I have
serious reservations that I will get any farther with NTL than he
did. They just don't seem to be aware/care.

Ok, maybe this is an issue: how do I tell eth0 on his box to use
dchp? Sorry, I don't have a clue about cable as I only have dialup
available :(

Kind Regards,
Dallam

--