RE: Telneting To COM port?

Iain Buchanan wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 13:52, Jake McHenry wrote:
> > > Are you trying to get _in_ to the machine through a serial
> > > cable connection from another machine, or are you trying to
> > > get _out_ through the serial cable to something connected to it?
> >
> > I'm trying to go from my linux box, to my phone switch via serial
> > cable. The phone switch is not a computer, it's a box on a wall that
> > I can get into and configure my speed dials, extensions... Etc.
> >
> > When I plug the cable back into my windows box, I can get right into
> > it.
>
> > It's com1 on the windows box, 8 data, Mark parity, 1 stop, 9600.

> I get to this stage sometimes.  Try plugging in a modem to the same
> port, and using minicom to talk to it with minimal changes (on linux)
> that way you can see if linux has even configured the serial ports.
> Then once you know what serial port you can keep trying with minicom.
> You could also try c-kermit.

> HTH,
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

One method I use to verify that "minicom" or "kermit" are using the port
I think it is, is to short pins 2 and 3 (transmit and receive) with a
small flat blade screwdriver.  Then I press letters on the keyboard and
they should echo back to me (appear on the screen).  When I pull the
screw driver away, what I type next should stop being echoed to the
screen.  That way I know for sure that I have the correct port and it
works to that point.

Holding the screwdriver still with one hand and reaching for the
keyboard with the other can be tricky.  If you can make your own serial
cables, you could build a connector that has pin three going to pin two
(which works like the screwdriver did).

Thanks,
Frank