Re: Problems with a hard disk

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Pekka K. Kurki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a system with two hard disks, hda hosts the system and root-user
> stuff, hdb hosts my other user files, etc. The hdb disk has had some
> problems for quite a while. Quite often, expecially when accessing
> different directories on it than the most commonly used ones, it makes a
> tickling noise and there is a temporary freeze of 10-30 secs until the
> disk had completed operations. But I could live with it. Now, after
> having installed RH9, it quite often comes to a complete freeze where I
> can only reboot. Obviously some action is needed.... I have still ext2
> on that disk, not enough space anywhere else on the system to do a
> complete backup of that disk. Any suggestions about a "non-destructive
> repair"...???

Get a new hard drive, partition and format it, then copy whatever you can
from the bad drive to the good drive, and either throw away the bad drive
or try to get it replaced under warranty.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe