Problems with a hard disk

Hi,

I have a system with two hard disks, hda hosts the system and root-user stuff, hdb hosts my other user files, etc. The hdb disk has had some problems for quite a while. Quite often, expecially when accessing different directories on it than the most commonly used ones, it makes a tickling noise and there is a temporary freeze of 10-30 secs until the disk had completed operations. But I could live with it. Now, after having installed RH9, it quite often comes to a complete freeze where I can only reboot. Obviously some action is needed.... I have still ext2 on that disk, not enough space anywhere else on the system to do a complete backup of that disk. Any suggestions about a "non-destructive repair"...???

Pekka

--
(Mr.) Pekka K. Kurki
Intellectics GesmbH