Re: Problems with a hard disk

--- "Pekka K. Kurki" <Pekka.Kurki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system with two hard disks, hda hosts the
> system and root-user
> stuff, hdb hosts my other user files, etc. The hdb
> disk has had some
> problems for quite a while. Quite often, expecially
> when accessing
> different directories on it than the most commonly
> used ones, it makes a
> tickling noise and there is a temporary freeze of
> 10-30 secs until the
> disk had completed operations. But I could live with
> it. Now, after
> having installed RH9, it quite often comes to a
> complete freeze where I
> can only reboot. Obviously some action is needed....
> I have still ext2
> on that disk, not enough space anywhere else on the
> system to do a
> complete backup of that disk. Any suggestions about
> a "non-destructive
> repair"...???
>
> Pekka

That sounds like the same thing that was happening on
my system just before I ended up installing RH9.  I
bought a new disk and tried copying the files from the
old (dying) disk, to the new one.  I got a bunch of
filesystem errors, including some errors where it said
a number of directories could not be copied as the max
number of layers for symbolic links had been reached
(or something like that).

Of course I didn't know about parted back then ;)

At the time, my drive was prompting me to manually go
in and run fsck on every other boot.  I was also
getting the tickling sound.  I'm curious to know
whether it's the same thing, so if I run into it
again, I might be better prepared.

Cheers,
Matt