RE: Modified Split DNS Question

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 14:21, Jake McHenry wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 13:52, Jake McHenry wrote:
> > [massive quoted message snipped]
> >
> > > My second question still stands though, is there a way for
> > me to have
> > > dns work for all the client machines without using the
> > hosts file on
> > > the windows boxes?
> > [snip]
> >
> > What about DHCP?  I haven't read all of your posts, so I
> > don't know if you've set it up or not, but DHCP will let you
> > set the clients DNS search order.  Also, I found it _much_
> > easier than setting up a DNS server.
>
> I'm not using dhcp because of remote administration. I have ports
> being forwarded in the router to the private ipaddresses, so to know
> what machine I'm connecting to, I cannot implement dhcp.

I don't quite understand this reason :)  If the clients used an internal
dhcp server to allocate static ip addresses and dns address, then your
router could still forward remote connections to the right machine.
This is in fact what I do.  I have a dns and dhcp server (same
machine).  The dhcp server hands out static and dynamic ip addresses,
and points clients to the internal dns server for name lookups.  The dns
server makes those lookups on behalf of the local client and then caches
the results, so that next time the local dns server doesn't have to
contact the remote (and hence slower) dns server.

And then on top of that, connections to the firewall (same machine yet
again) from outside get forwarded (or dropped) depending on the port,
and dns requests that try to go through the firewall from local machines
(except the caching dns server) get dropped because I want them to use
my local dns...

It can sound complicated, but its quite simple really!

> All of the clients use only one name server, being 192.168.1.98, the
> only dns server in use.

Sounds ok with the above setup.  Please let me know if there are
limitations to this setup such that it doesn't fulfill your
requirements.

Regards,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>